The Revelation of Jesus Christ by Anne Wentworth, an electronic edition. Edited with an introduction by Vickie Taft
- Section: Revelation X. April 23.
collection: Early Modern through the 18th Century
|<< Section||< critical introduction||Section >||Section >>|
Revelation X. April 23.
As I was sitting alone, came the word of the Lord unto me, and said:
The Heavens frown, and Earth doth mourn,
And yet the people despise and scorn.
What shall the God of all mercy do?
For they will not look up, but pore below:
Nor for his warning they do not care:
Though he speaks aloud, and doth call
Upon sinners, to repent before they fall
Into the Pit, where they cannot return,
But will be swallowed up for all your scorn.
Unto this Nation God would shew love,
But they will not look up to him above:
What could the Lord now have done more,
Then to send, to warn all people, and the painted Whore?
But when he in love sends to warn them,
They rise up in Arms, to fight against him:
So the Lord will kill, and strike them dead
With his Sword, that hangs over their head:
He will smite, and give a most fatal blow,
For rejecting of him, they shall know,
How angry the Lord is at them all,
That did slight and scorn, when he did call:
He will kill, and slay with his own hand,
When he lets the French 73 into our Land:
For the Nations sins are deep dyed in blood,
But for all his Saints surely it will be good74 .
Great patience the Lord hath now had,
But now he comes, to make his Children glad:
Which Babylon would have pressed down,
But the Saints shall sing, and wear the Crown:
And no joy like that, which God will send
Unto his Saints for ever unto the end.
Fear not, little Flock, your joy doth come,
For our Father will give us the Kingdom75 .
72. The text is cropped here and the inserted handwritten marginalia is largely inscrutable.
73. This is a reference to the Popish Plot of 1678-79 in which the French supposedly conspired to help English Catholics overthrow Charles II and the Anglican Church in England.
74. In Revelation 7, God's saints are rewarded.
75. Luke 12:32: "Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.